Where sports meets passion

INDI-BLOGGER

Sunday, October 18, 2009

FIRST BLOOD.....FIRST DAY AT OXFORD

Well i would not like to shed light into how i got into "THE OXFORD COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING", but i would like to enlighten you readers that what a experience it is spending such a substantial time at that place where for an outsider or a third party ... The life would be plain, simple, non adventurous but for me it was something special and rather important.

The Auto Driver said a plain "NO" as if he was asked to lend us 50 rupees hen we asked him to take us to the college and he demanded that we shall pay him twice the fare, as going there would actually mean riskiung his life, and that he is doing a brave deed by taking us there. My dad has this uncanny habit of swearing to Auto Drivers ..which actually looked justified that day. After some efforts and time we finally found someone who would "risk his life".We hopped in as fast as we could as we expected he may suddenly say "NO", but luckilly that did not happen .We just made it in time and it also took us some exercise to reach the college premises as in there was some construction work going on and we actually had to jump a ditch which angered my dad even more as in the process he fell down , luckilly there was no water and it was dry .
Just as a newly wed bride is sent to her "sasuraal" i was dropped at the gate and the bye bye drama continued, I personally enjoyed the whole thing as such a thing never happened to me in the past as my dad rarely came to my school, junior college . Life plays such games with you that sometimes you have to laugh at yourself.

Well coffers are usually locked, for security reasons but there is this mysterious thing at Oxford that we students have not yet figured ourselves for all our engineering days that for what reason on earth are the bathrooms locked... Well even the most hygenic person cannot answer this query and the first thing i noticed after stepping inside the college was this abstarct phenomena, "Maybe the Director or the Dean is suffering from some phobia that someone is going to steal his basins and comodes" I thought, and proceeded to my classroom.

It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out where my Department was because before the "Accredition days " we did suffer from the absence of something as basic as a signboard. After asking a dozen of people and applying those directions i finally cracked the maze and there stood my classrom but again there we go it was LOCKED.

I came a bit early for the classes and as time passed quite a large crowd was formed outside the classroom and all waited for the peon to bring his big bunch of keys and open the classroom.
Finally it happened and i had a first look at the Class where i supposedly had to spend 4 years of my life.. Dancing,Taking snaps and giving the odd seminar.

Before we could actually settle down and settle ourselves our Maths Professor barged into the class and started scribbling on the blackboard as in someone had said that it would be her last class and before I could bring out my pen and paper she had already finished one problem.

Well before i shall describe what experience I had in the Maths hour,I entered the classroom and searched for a good seat, A good seat as in where I would be accessible to the Lecture...(I was like this from the start).So after some search i found the Third bench to be the ideal spot.Sitting beside me was Pavan, my first friend at Oxford and sitting in front of him was probably the most talked about personality in EEE ever "Vaishnav".I said "Hi" to Pavan and he too responded.

About the Maths class I found out by observation that already a lot had been thought,I wasnt surprised as the speed at which the professor was going, I thought well Maths was already over for me. I found that already a Register full of problems had been filled and people were getting ready for a new book. Well all my life i had not purchased a second notebook for any subject, Well here students were aptly listening to the teacher's instructions and that actually impressed me. Among those who impressed me were the Buddies "Vaishnav, Navin and Jashwant"...They are famous personalities now.

Amidst the class some of last benchers got some harangue from the maths lecturer and then the attendance was called and then I proceeded to show the Admission letter to the lecturer and she gleefully accepted it. She told me to give my introduction to the class and i started as i always do it in my way" I am Karthik Premkumar Iyer and i am from Mumbai". I expected a huge cheer from the class and what I got was a loud hush and a whisper here and there. Well in this way i was welcomed and I announced myself to Oxford.
Rest of the day went smoothly as i was rather busy collecting notes and writing down time tables, between I saw some bunking classes and i appreciated their efforts and the day ended abruptly as it was "Aayadhu pooja " and we all were dispersed.

Before i could go out of the college gate I met this Chemistry lecturer "Ragini madam" and i still seriously feel she deserves the Nobel Prize.

If Obama can get it why cant she........Explain it to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hello MR.Prem thatz wat our maths Lecturer addressed you as.Although your blog started off well you failed to mention you were Dilatory.The Induction programme for 2005 batch students took place on 14 th of August.All the newcomers along with the parents who had the curiosity to check how the college would be were welcomed Gleefully. I think probably on that particular day Oxfor was worth to visit. And you also failed to mention EEE din't had so called Head of the Departmentin the Interim. And coming to "Ragini madam's" case ordinary mortals like us can't comment on her. She used to din a lot about her. So for sure she can Procure Nobel prize if---------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete
  2. T20 World Cup Live Score & Streaming is available to you for free in high quality to keep you updated about this biggest cricket event of the year.

    ReplyDelete